Here is a recipe that comes from our very own member, Chef Mario! He notes that a nage is a clean vegetable puree, with no cream or high fats, that is usually used as a sauce and it has a good flavor intensity. It can be made ahead of time and reheated over very low heat, without letting it boil.
Baked Cod with Braised Cabbage and Corn Nage
Serves 4 – Preheat Oven at 375 F
- (4) 5 ounce portions of Cod Filet
- 1 small CSA Young Green Cabbage Cut in to 8 wedges with the stem intact, run under water to remove any soil
- 3 Leaves of Young Lemon Grass
- 1 Clove of Garlic, lightly smashed; skin off
- 1 Quart of Chicken stock or Broth, Low Sodium
- 3 Corn on the cob, kernels stripped off cob; reserve the cob and kernels separately
- 3 Shallots Julienned
- 1 Clove of Chopped Garlic
- 2 tbsp Chopped Jalapeño, no seeds (must wash hands and working surface immediately afterwards)
- 6 tbsp of Blended or Canola oil
- 1/8 Cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil to coat the fish
- ½ cup of white wine
- 1 tbsp of Coriander Seed
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Salt and pepper
For the Corn Nage
In a small sauce pan, heat 3 tbsp of blended oil and sauté garlic, shallots and jalapeño. Add white wine, bay leaves and ground coriander seed; when wine is reduced to almost sec (Dry), pour in 3 1/2 cups of chicken stock and add the corn cobs, bring up to a boil and simmer low for about 30 minutes. When the simmering time is up, pull cobs out from the broth and discard, add the kernels and with hand blender, liquefy until smooth.
Season to taste with salt and pepper; strain through a colander. If not being used right away, cool down and refrigerate.
For the Cabbage
In a sauté pan with a fit cover, heat 2 tablespoons of oil and brown the cabbage wedges on each side, move off the fire and add 1/2 cup of chicken stock, the smashed garlic clove and the lemon grass leaves, cover and place in the oven. Cook for about 15 minutes or until fork tender, take out of the oven and set aside, remove the lemon grass leaves and discard.
Cooking the Cod
Place Cod in an oven safe dish and coat with extra virgin olive oil, the juice of half of lemon and salt and pepper, place in oven and cook covered (aluminum foil can be used,) for about 12 minutes.
To plate, ladle about 2 ounces of corn nage on the bottom of 4 bowls or shallow plates, place 2 wages of cabbage on the center of each plate and the cod on top of the cabbage, enjoy!!